This is slightly sweet and delicious. It would make a great side for pork or chicken.
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) water (or chicken broth)
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
250 ml (1 cup) uncooked couscous
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 sweet red or orange pepper, diced
2 McIntosh or Spartan apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 small banana, sliced in half, lengthwise, then sliced up
30 ml (2 tbsp) curry paste (Jeff uses Patak's mild, available at most grocery stores)
60 ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth
Chopped cilantro, (to your taste)
1. Bring first amount of water to a boil, add butter and then stir in the couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
2. Heat a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat. Melt 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter and then add onion. Sauté until lightly browned.
3. Add 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter to pan. Add garlic, pepper and apples. Fry until apples start to become tender.
4. Add banana slices and fry briefly (do not overcook).
5. Add curry paste and combine with fruit and onions.
6. Add orange juice to mix and stir it through. Cook for two minutes.
7. Add 250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth, stir through.
8. Stir couscous into fruit and broth and let sit until liquid is absorbed. Serve immediately.