Wednesday 2 January 2008

Two very GOOD stretches

These two muscle fascia stretches as taught to me by my athletic therapist, Dea, who fixed my knees and all the other stuff that has slid out of place lately.

With the first, you lay on the floor and raise yourself up into a shoulder stand.
Then pull your feet over your head keeping your knees straight. Hold for 10 - 15 seconds. This one especially unkinks my neck and loosens all those muscles between your shoulder blades that really don't like sitting at at computer. (The Geek and I have decided that we would never make professional model/photographer-there is too much giggling).
The second one you can do anywhere.
Tuck your chin against your chest

and bend down slowly, vertebra by vertebra until you touch your toes. Hold there for 10-15 seconds.



Slowly uncurl, again vertebra by vertebra, arching backwards and spreading your arms apart and pushing the stretch out through your middle fingers. (The first time I did this I felt a real zing, like an electic current seemingly shoot out the ends of both middle digits.)

Repeat as required. For a deeper stretch, place your feet on or against and object so the bottom plane of your feet are at about a 45 degree angle to the floor. This really gets the back of your legs happy.

1 comment:

  1. That would be great, if say I could actually even come close to touching my toes. Perhaps this should be a NY resolution, as my hamstrings are tightly wound springs!

    ReplyDelete